January 11, 2021
9 Easy DIY Steps to Clean Slider Tracks
Remove Dirt, Sand, Pet Hair and More
Our sliding glass doors sure got a workout during 2020, didn’t they? As many of us hunkered down in our homes because of the pandemic, we escaped to our backyards—which meant going in and out of our sliders frequently.
Did the added traffic take its toll on your sliders? If so, call Door Pros to handle your sliding glass door repair in Palm Springs or nearby. We truly are the pros who know doors inside and out. We can repair sliding glass doors with dirty or broken rollers, wheels out of alignment or tracks that are out of whack.
Is your door sticking or hesitating when you try to open and close it? The problem could be gunk that has built up in the tracks. In our area, sand stuck in the tracks can be one of the biggest challenges. For pet owners, hair is another nagging problem. And, of course, there is the usual dirt, dust, crumbs and other debris.
You can try these DIY tips to clean out your sliding glass door tracks:
- Start by getting rid of larger dirt, crumbs or other debris by vacuuming out the tracks. A small vacuum attachment can make this task easy.
- Grab that box of baking soda and sprinkle it—lightly—in the tracks. In areas where the sand or dirt is more concentrated, sprinkle more generously.
- This next step adds a little fun to the job. Add a small amount of white vinegar to the baking soda. Is it bubbling? That means it’s working.
- Wait about 10 minutes, which allows this mixture to do its job.
- Using an old toothbrush, lightly scrub the tracks to loosen debris. Don’t forget about the corners and grooves!
- Wipe up as much as possible with a paper towel.
- Use a clean paper towel or rag to remove anything that’s left.
- Using a butter knife or small scraping tool, remove anything that might still be hiding in the corners and grooves.
- Use another clean paper towel or rag to wipe everything down one final time.
In most situations, cleaning your sliding glass door tracks is a simple task that you can accomplish yourself. But there are times when the problem is much more serious and you need the assistance of a trained door professional to handle it. When that happens, give Door Pros a call. Our family-owned and family-operated business has more than two decades of experience in repairing, installing and maintaining interior and exterior doors for our residential and commercial customers. We’re also pros with garage door openers. We’ll be more than happy to pay you a visit and slam the door on your problem.
Call Door Pros Today!
We’re the Palm Desert area’s experts in everything doors, including garage door repairs in Palm Springs and beyond. To schedule an appointment or to learn more, call us at 760.993.6873 or contact us online.