November 22, 2019
Burglars Love When You Do This …
Door Pros Offers Tips to Keep Your Garage Door—and Home—Safe
If you’re not yet aware of this trend, all you need to do is Google “house burglary stolen garage door opener” to learn the frightening truth.
If you keep your vehicle unlocked with the automatic garage door opener inside, you could be putting your home and your family at risk. Your garage door opener is an easy way for burglars to gain access to your home. Door Pros, the experts in garage door replacement, garage door installation and garage door repair in Palm Springs and beyond, wants everyone to be aware of this tactic and take precautions to make sure this doesn’t happen to you.
Never leave your automatic garage door opener in your car and always keep your vehicle—and the garage door leading into your home—locked. A key chain remote is a great alternative to a standard remote.
Here are more tips to keep your garage, your home and your family safe:
- Don’t leave your garage door partially open. It compromises your security. Plus, when you reactivate the door, it could hit something as it travels downward.
- Check your garage door’s cables, pulleys, rollers and springs each month for wear and tear. If you discover something that needs attention, call the skilled and trained professionals at Door Pros to make any necessary adjustments or repairs.
- Make sure your garage door opener’s reverse function is working properly. Here’s how to test it: Place a board in the door’s path. If the door fails to reverse direction after touching the board, it needs a professional’s expert touch. We’ll be happy to glide on over to help you out.
- Keep your garage door opener away from small children. Teach them that it’s not a toy.
- Caution children of the danger of putting their fingers between garage door sections. (We offer models with panels that can’t pinch.)
- Familiarize yourself with your garage door’s emergency release.
- If you are away from home for an extended period of time, unplug your garage door opener control or use a security switch, which is optional for most garage door openers and temporarily disables your remote so it can’t be used.
- Make sure your remote has rolling-code technology, which changes access codes to prevent code grabbing. If your remote does not have this technology, make sure to change the manufacturer’s standard access code and set a new code regularly.
We are the skilled and experienced team that can handle your residential and commercial door needs and challenges. We’re also part of this community so we want to keep you safe.
Schedule Your Garage Door Installation, Replacement or Repair Today!
We specialize in everything doors, including garage door replacement, garage door installation and garage door repair in La Quinta to commercial door repair in Palm Springs. At Door Pros, we know doors—inside and out. Give us a call at 760.993.6873 or request a quick quote online.